Friday, March 6, 2009

The First One--SHUT UP MEDIA!!!

So here goes, my first foray into the blogging world. So a little about what I do: I help people live healthier lives as the Membership Director at an upscale athletic club in Washington, D.C. with locations in New York, Boston, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Orange County and Beverly Hills. I have a wonderful family and I help support them (along with my amazing wife who is in the healthcare field) through selling memberships to the athletic club. I don't brag often (all right, that's not entirely true), but I am DAMN good at my job and I work hard at being the best I can be.


My very first blog concerns, what else...the current state of the American and global economy. My personal major issue is not with Republicans, Democrats, Congress, stimulus packages, etc. It's with the GODDAMNED MEDIA! It's no secret that in order for companies and businesses to thrive, they need to sell shit. How the hell is anyone going to buy anything and revive our faultering economy if EVERY SINGLE FUCKING DAY the media paints a doomsday, end-of-all-things depression scenario for Joe the Plummer watching at home?


By now I'm sure everyone has seen the news item that in our downtrodden economy there are one or two companies posting profits and one of those companies is McDonald's. I have nothing against the Golden Arches per se, but Americans are forgoing healthy (but expensive) food for the inexpensive food served at fast food places in addition to cancelling health club memberships to cut expenses. This, in turn, is making Americans fatter than we already are and will contribute to unhealthy lifestyles. This, in turn, drives the cost of health care to go up and preventable diseases like diabetes and heart disease will only rise given this disturbing trend.


So, why all the ranting and raving? There's nothing we can do about it, right? The media is not to blame, it's Bush, it's Clinton, it's greedy companies and banks. The media just reports the news. What I am proposing is to SPEND your money on quality things that will enhance and lenghten your life. When people talk about cutting things out, very little thought is given to a $200/month cable bill but $100/month is too much to exercise?

Yes, this post is self-serving. Yes, I care about my family and providing them everything they deserve in life. But it's not like I'm selling drugs or advocating murder! Tell the media to shut the fuck up and spend your money!

No comments:

Post a Comment